November 6, 2012

four

Four years ago today, I was preparing to become a mum. I was eight days overdue with my first little bundle, and barely had the energy to walk for more than 10 minutes at a time thanks to the little person who had seemingly taken up permanent residency in my stomach. Thankfully, I had been to the doctor the day before, and when the ultrasound indicated that the baby could be as big as 10 1/2 pounds, my doc agreed to induce me. I was due to be at the hospital the following morning, at the crack of dawn.

One induction, two epidurals and fourteen hours later, I was a mum. I was also in shock, because I thought I would only ever have boys (given the track record in Cal's and my families), but in my arms was an 8 pound, 8 1/2 ounce beautiful baby girl. (Thankfully, the ultrasound tech's weight assumption had been quite off!) I was a mum, and I've never looked back.

It was, easily, the best choice I've ever made.

Tomorrow my little Lady M turns four. She is now two months into full-day junior kindergarten, as tall as a first grader, and clever as can be. She's a beautiful little girl who is the perfect combination of kind and silly, quiet and funny. She's a great blend of Cal and I, and is the best big sister I've ever seen in action. She adores Lady A, and acts like a second mum to her, lavishes her with attention and enjoys that they can now play together.

Over the last week we've had a great time counting down the days to her birthday, and this morning was especially exciting because there's only one sleep left until the big day!


I love birthdays. They've always been a big deal in my family, and especially important to celebrate them on the actual day. As I've gotten older I realize that not everyone does that, and it really makes me appreciate our little tradition more and more. My Dad is the real stickler on this one, making sure we not only celebrate on the actual day, but he makes sure that everyone in the fam has a fantastic day, making it special in any way her can. As my brother and I climb through our 30's (Greg's MUCH further into his 30's than I am, for the record), our parents still make our big day's special. Only now we get to celebrate with our kids and spouses, making the party even better.

Tomorrow night most of our immediately family will be over to celebrate Lady M's 4th birthday, and I can't wait to spoil my not-so-little girl. Knowing that she can go to sleep tomorrow night feeling celebrated, loved and just plain exhausted is all I need!

Happy 4th birthday to my sweet Lady M.

No comments: